Possums are cute looking animals who like their natural surroundings, however at times they may look for shelter indoors in houses and yards. It is then when these cute looking animals are termed as pest.
Possums may be termed as pest but are treated very differently from the usual pest since they are protected under the Act of 1975. It is illegal to kill or ill-treat a possum in Australia. The Government has laid very strict rules and regulation as regards Possums. This is one of the reason why it is best to involve a pest control agency if you suspect a Possum in your property or garden rather than try DIY techniques. If you dread facing this situation then below are few tips and tricks, which can work wonders to keep possums away from your property. You can also simply hire the Possum Control Melbourne for all your possum removal needs!
- Possums are of 23 kinds, but the most common possums found in Australia are the common brush tailed possums and the common ringtail possums. Common ringtail possums normally do not like to come indoor and like their natural surroundings, however the common brush tail possums may creep indoor in search of food or shelter. Therefore, the best way to keep them away is to create a wood nest for them outside your garden where they can rest and would not like to find some other place
- If you have trees then it is best to cut them short or trim their branches so that they do not reach the roof. Since Possums are excellent climbers, hence they might climb the tree branches and from this time creep into the roof or the attic.
- If you have a big garden or a yard and there is greenery by your side then, there is no harm in installing a water sprinkler, Possums do not like to get wet, hence would stay away.
- Possums are nocturnal and generally only come out in the dark, hence keep your roof or the attic enlighten .Also you can install a night bulb in the garden and your backyard
- Possums generally do not like strong odour, so you can make use of some natural ingredients such as turmeric, pepper etc. that produces strong and pungent odour
- As mentioned above possums generally like to live in their natural surrounding but may come indoors in search of food, therefore it is advisable to keep food out of their reach, this also holds true for garbage bins and rubbish bags.
- There are several kind of repellents, which are available in the market, these work wonders in keeping possums away from your surrounding
- Last but not the least you can create a fence around your garden or premises, which would deter them to cross and come into your area.
If none of the above work then it is wise to get in touch with a professional pest control Melbourne services who are well experienced in treating possums, while keeping in mind the rules and regulation laid by the Government.